I agree with Chris, especially if your ancestors have non Anglo-Saxon/Celtic
names. Family Search is generally better than the others. I think their staff
are better trained at indexing names, including foreign ones.

John

From: Chris Hill
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 7:15 AM
To: Legacy User Group
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Census

Hi

I think the best way to do this type of search is directly in their website,
and not through a search from Legacy.

Doing it yourself means that you have control on the search and can work
through the records that are found. The same technique works against any of the
websites that have access to census records - Ancestry, FindMyPast, MyHeritage
etc. - but Family Search has the benefit of being free.

The risk with an automatic search is that it is dependent on the data that you
have in Legacy, which might not relate to the way that the census records are
written or indexed, so that you do not find the records that you are looking
for.

For an example, I was tracing a family in Cornwall and found 14 different
versions of the family surname across census and BMD records. Doing it manually
give you the option to control these searches.

Regards

Chris

>From my Motorola G6+

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, 21:44 Steve Ostheimer via LegacyUserGroup,