I have noticed that one solution to this problem is to close Windows with a
Restart instead of Close. It appears that Close saves the current status of
the system, which might include which files are open, while Restart will
close everything. I don't know why MS do it that way round and I would
expect it to be the other way around, but then I have only been in IT
longer than them.

Regards

Chris