Mike Collinson wrote:
> A good general method is to flip things around, explain what you are
> going to do with the data and ask them to contact you by, say, the
> end of the month if the use does NOT meet their terms of use.

I think that is both politically and legally extremely unwise. You can't
write to Sony and say "unless you contact me in the next month, I'm
going to make your entire back catalogue available via BitTorrent".
While a more extreme example, the same principle applies. Their lack of
refusal cannot be taken as consent.

> After xxxx, the trail data will be merged into a global public
> database called OpenStreetMap. OpenStreetMap is a non-commercial
> project

No, it's not - or, at least, to claim this is to suggest that the data
is only used non-commercially, which is definitely wrong.

Gerv