Peter Miller <peter.mil...@...> writes:

> On 9 Mar 2009, at 12:19, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > By accident I was just tuning my MapServer and thinking about
> > analogous situations.  How about if my WMS server holds both OSM
> > data and some other datasets with different licenses?  WMS user can
> > request layers separately (send me A and then B) and client software
> > combines them. But user may also ask server to render them together
> > on server side (send me layers A+B merged together).
> > Then user can print the result to pdf and the final product looks
> > just the same.
> > Or user can even ask MapServer to send the two layers together AND
> > in pdf format, and the resulting pdf looks again rather the same.
> > There are three ways to reach the same goal, but just one of them is
> > allowed, or?
> >
> > Should I run separate WMS services for each type of licenses? That
> > would guarantee that the client software should sent separate
> > requests for the layers and thus server side combining would be
> > prevented.
> >
> > And how about OpenLayers applications like this:
> > http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=5&lat=64.45292&lon=30&layers=B000TFFF
> > I believe that the application can exist, but how about if somebody
> > makes a printout?
>
> Is there is Use Case that you could put on the wiki for this one?
>
> I am not following the thread but if you want it to be checked out by
> a lawyer then I suggest you get it on the wiki in the same format as
> the others. In the end we need a license that works for the key use
> cases. If the ODbL one won't do that then we will need to think again.
> What is clear is that the current version of the ODbL isn't there yet.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_Licence/Use_Cases
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

I don't know if this is such a use case at all.  Perhaps it is just another
example about how garbled situations will occur because it is technically so
easy to get and combine spatial datasets which are under different licenses.
But what can be done?  If licenses do not suit together then they don't.
I am preparing one dataset to fit the implementing rules of INSPIRE directive,
and I have started to think that even if the rules are quite heavy and
bureaucratic at least it is good that all the INSPIRE datasets will be under
same legistlation.  That will make it a rather straight forward process to
combine data from different sources.  At least it will be simple for ourselves,
the bureaucrats.

Let's hope that there will be some day at least two user contributed datasets
that have combatible licenses and people can start using them together in
creative, productive, or unexpected ways.