----- Original Message ----- From: "Frederik Ramm" <frede...@remote.org>
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:09 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Is tracing from Yahoo allowed under the CT's

David,

David Groom wrote:
Secondly from the second line of http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Yahoo#Legalities you will see the phrase "Yahoo! have agreed to let OSM use their aerial imagery" [ under the old licence terms], and large parts of the remainder of that page go on to mention the agreement with Yahoo etc.

I fixed that page.

If you read the page closely, it already said further down that "It seems to be more a case of agreeing an interpretation of their Terms of Use.", and the Yahoo! guy quoted did not say anything about an "agreement".

By the way, I did read the page closely, and included the above text in my original post :)

Truth is, Yahoo were approached by us and basically said: "Yes we think it's ok if someone traces vector data from our maps, that would not be our copyright anymore". Which meant, *specifically*, that OSM could trace and release under CC-BY-SA, and since that was all that was of interest to us at the time, we put that wording on the wiki page.

Thank you for clarifying that Yahoo did not give agreement that was limited to CC-BY-SA

David

If there ever was an "agreement" it was not about who can use the data under what license, but instead - and that took us a while to sort out - how exactly we were allowed to display Yahoo data in our editors.

Mikel Maron did the talks with Yahoo at the time.