On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:39:11 +0100, Rob Myers <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 11:24 AM, TimSC wrote:
>>
>> 1) How is the future direction of OSM determined? Community consensus?
>> OSMF committees with OSMF votes? Something else?
>
> Consensus decision making doesn't mean a 100% plebiscite vote or
> minority veto power. It means an honest attempt to converge on a
> compromise. Given this, the ODbL does represent community consensus.
> It represents a compromise between many different ideological
> positions present in the community around the norms that have emerged
> in discussion over the years.
>
> If it's not your personal dream licence for OSM, welcome to the club.
> But, as I say, consensus means compromise.

I do wonder how you can talk about consensus or compromise if part of
the issue is "how do we get in touch with people that have contributed".
It's easy if everyone was on a mailinglist or the wiki. But they
aren't. There hasn't even been an announcement made trough the mail
system on www.openstreetmap.org. How can someone then possibly say that
consensus or compromise has been reached?

BTW: not that I've been asked, but currently I would vote against the
move to ODbL.

Regards,
Maarten