2010/11/17 Matthias Julius <li...@julius-net.net>:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:20:39 +0100, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Btw: isn't a rendering a derived database as well?
>
> A database of pixels?  I would not regard a printed map as a database.
> And neither would I the electronic version of that.
>
> One could argue about a "rendered" vector map.

I think that this distinction is nonsense, a vector map has a certain
resolution just like a georeferenced bitmap has. Is it possible to
trace a bitmap map (therefore recreating vectors)? Definitely yes,
even if this might no easily or at all be possible in automated manner
(maybe if you have an "intelligent" program you might be able to do it
automatically, but I don't know any proof for this).

cheers,
Martin