On 8 December 2010 18:51, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:

> John Smith wrote:
>>> In addition, some licences (such as the new UK Open Government
>>> Licence) openly avow compatibility with ODC's attribution licences
>> >(ODC-By and ODbL).
>> Nice bait and switch...
>
> Goodness me, John, do you have to be so confrontational about _everything_?!

My point exactly, it's not nice to make slightly misleading statements
appear as if an apple and an orange are identical. It'd be nice if
those that want to lump the CT in with the ODBL could be consistent,
rather than picking and choosing as it benefits them.

>> In your first paragraph you lump ODBL+CT together and then you
>> conveneintly only use ODBL in your second paragraph, please point
>> out if the UK Open Government License is also compatible with
>> ODBL+CT.
>
> In my view, yes, it is compatible with ODbL+CT 1.2 (though not 1.0). OGL is
> an attribution licence and CT 1.2 guarantees attribution within the rights
> grant to OSMF.

It's one thing to give you a pretty flower and tell you it will live
forever, but at some point every thing fades away and you end up with
reality, rather than half baked guarantees that may not actually be
100% of what was implied or suggested, there is strong doubts that
this would actually live up to the expectation and may end up causing
more harm than it would ever increase good will in future.