On 24 March 2011 13:13, Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> wrote:

> I was referring to the 1.2.4 French translation
>
> http://www.osmfoundation.org/images/c/c2/2011-03-08_OSM_Contributor_Terms_1.2.4_FrenchTranslation.pdf
>
> What you have is the translation of 1.0.
>
> The issue wrt to the wording is if to use a strong "must not infringe" vs. a
> weak "should not infringe" (in the German translation).

But contractual obligations aren't "strong" or "weak". Can you explain
what you think that difference means in terms of the obligations
either would impose on a contributor? It may be that German law knows
of a difference between strong and weak obligations. English law
doesn't (yes there's a distinction between terms which do or do not
entitle the other party to repudiate, but we aren't worrying about
that here).

In other words, the proper question is: what obligation does the
English contractor terms place on a contributor, and then translate
that obligation into German. I'm not sure how close the existing
wording is to one of the various ones I suggested, but the intention
is that the first part of 1(a) indicates OSMF's goal, and only the
second part imposes an obligation, but as I explained earlier I am not
sure that is what it does.

Can I suggest that it would be a really really good idea to have the
contributor terms drafted in one go by a professional lawyer, rather
than bit by bit. I've had various requests to look at specific parts
of the wording, but really the contract has to hang together as a
whole. What needs to happen is that (whoever it is who makes these
decisions) decides what they want the terms to do and then have them
drafted to do that. Drafting good legal copy is not something that
should be done like a wiki document.

I realise everyone works very hard over this, but none of the versions
I've seen make me happy in numerous ways. I speak as someone who has
entirely no view as to what they should do, but since I draft exactly
this kind of contract all the time (and sadly litigate others, though
not ones I have drafted), I have quite strong sensibilities about how
they should read.

My "spare time" is pretty limited and my pro bono effort is directed
at various other organisations (My Society, ORG and the One Click
Organisation) but just to get this settled I'd be happy to take formal
instruction from OSMF to sort this out properly without charge.

But I don't want to be a self-publicist. It may be that everyone is
happy with the CT's and feels no help is needed. There are almost
certainly other (large) law firms that would be happy to offer a free
consult so they could associate their name with OSMF's (which is now
getting pretty famous).

Anyway, I'll see what anyone thinks about that when I am back from holiday.

--
Francis Davey