On 5 July 2011 05:42, Jaakko Helleranta.com <jaa...@helleranta.com> wrote:
> But nevertheless _I_ would say that copyright/IPR-wise there's 0% left of
> anything protectable if (1) someone's e.g. traced a road from imagery, but
> has only marked it with, say, highway=road (meaning he states that he has no
> clue of what kind of road/path/track/river?/ditch/wall/other it is) and then

I agree with this only if you could give the same source of data to 10
different people and get the same result each time, for most roads
there is some creativity that goes into selecting where to place
nodes, which is recognised by most countries since making makes is
deemed a creative enterprise.

> (2) I go to survey the road with GPS, upload the trace (or even simply

Auto recorded GPS tracks probably wouldn't be protected by copyright
since there is no human/creative input involved.

> overlay it with existing data in JOSM) and then tweak the road according to
> my trace+observations + tag it approriately. And I say that this holds true
> even if I'd leave a few nodes untouched (because they happened to be where
> my trace was).

Here we end up with more creativity because someone else selectively
choosing to shift things about.