On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 02:18:46 -0700 (PDT), Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Maarten Deen wrote:
Turn restrictions, maximum speeds, oneway streets, even the value
of the highway tag is not a geographical fact.

Sure they are.

If I walk about 20 yards from my front door, there's a "no entry" sign at a certain lat/long. If I walk a bit further along, facing the other way, there's a "one way" sign at another lat/long. From those two geographical facts[1], I can deduce that a particular road is oneway. Therefore I tagged
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/1058809 with oneway=yes.

Same goes for turn restrictions, maximum speeds, and certainly over here, highway tags. The one major exception in the OSM database is administrative
boundaries.

IMHO that's stretching the "geographic" bit very far. Sure, the fact that there is a sign is a geographic fact, but the fact that that signifies something for the road or object that's there is just convention. And highway value is certainly not geographic. There is nothing about the location or presence of a road that makes it "motorway" or "tertiary". That is only because it is designated as such. That designation can change anytime, but by doing so you don't change the geography of the place.

Regards,
Maarten