Hi,

the following occurred to me today, and I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts about it. What I'm writing here is not at all news; I just hadn't thought about it until now.

In the Contributor terms, the license that OSM data is distributed under is mentioned in this way:

"OSMF agrees that it may only use or sub-license Your Contents ... under the terms of one or more of the following licences: ODbL 1.0 for the database and DbCL 1.0 for the individual contents of the database; CC-BY-SA 2.0; or such other free and open licence (for example, http://www.opendefinition.org/okd/) as may from time to time be chosen by a vote of the OSMF membership and approved by at least a 2/3 majority vote of active contributors."

It is clear that the license can be changed to a different one at any time through the 2/3 provision.

But, even after the switch to ODbL, OSMF could go back to CC-BY-SA 2.0 at any time - and would, as far as I can see, only need a simple majority board decision for that.

This puts OSMF in a position of quite some power.

Let us assume for a moment that there are a few big players waiting in the wings with products ready to be launched once the license change has come through; products that have been designed for over a year and at considerable cost. Assume someone launches a few months after the license change, and further assume that there is something we (as a project) are unhappy about. Say they mix their proprietary data with OSM data in a way where *we* think they have to release something back but *they* point to the legal analysis they have been doing for the last two years and say "no way, Jose, come sue us if you dare, mwhahahaha."

Could we - could OSMF - in such a situation simply say: "Know what, Mr big guy? Either you play nice and release that data, or we'll simply go back to CC-BY-SA 2.0 next month."

I don't assume that we would really *want* to go back but it wouldn't exactly kill us, and depending on what is at stake (I assume it could easily be a multi million dollar thing) we (the project) would lose much less than those we'd be up against. We wouldn't really want to but we *could*, and the fact that the big guy would only have to piss off the wrong four people at OSMF to ruin his product could balance one thing or the other in our favour.

Questions arising from this -

1. Is my reasoning correct?

2. Are we happy with OSMF board wielding this power - should we (the OSMF membership) perhaps curtail OSMF board's powers by creating a rule that says that any decision regarding the license under which the data is published must be taken by the whole membership and not just the board?

3. If the CTs were changed post-license-change to omit CC-BY-SA 2.0 from the list of available licenses, then the above scenario would become impractical - we could then not simply go back to CC-BY-SA 2.0 without losing data from new contributors (unless going through the 2/3 rule). Such a change in the CTs would create more security for anyone investing in a product based on our data by taking away the bargaining chip I have written about. Does the power to change the CTs currently sit with the board alone, and are we happy with that?

The power to modify the CTs carries with it the power to entrench the current license practically forever; someone with liberty to change the CT as they see fit could, for example, simply strike out the "future license change possible with 2/3 of active contributors" clause and therefore create a situation in which no future OSMF can change the license without going through what we go through now. Of course the CTs cannot be changed retroactively but doing so for new signups is effective enough.