On 9 July 2016 at 00:10, Ilya Zverev <i...@zverev.info> wrote:
> Thanks for raising the issue. We at maps.me tried to follow the license:
> basically we are combining the OSM data without certain nodes (see the list
> of ids at http://direct.mapswithme.com/direct/latest/skipped_nodes.lst ) and
> a proprietary data set for hotels. Since we do not use any OSM information,
> like names or coordinates, for these hotels, I assumed the result could be
> considered a collective database.
>
> Now, the matching process does indeed compare coordinates of hotels in both
> datasets, and filters out nodes in the OSM data. The list of nodes is
> published, so anyone can reproduce the open part of the data from a planet
> dump. Again, the proprietary data is in no way affected by the OSM data (it
> is added in its entirety, not a single object is omitted or altered using OSM
> data). So the last item in the guidelines ("all hotels not found in the
> OpenStreetMap data layers") does not apply.
>
> If the LWG decides we are violating the license (and explains how, maybe
> producing another guidelines), we will remove all OSM hotels from our data.
> But for now I don't see how it's different from removing just some of the
> hotels.

Thanks for the explanation from both of you, so in this specific case
it appears from what you've both said is that maps.me has taken a
"proprietary dataset and removed all POIs from the OSM dataset that
exist in your data, the OSM dataset remains, naturally, ODbL licensed
and your proprietary dataset remains proprietary (with some
information leak via the OSM data)."

I don't follow if this is permitted or not, either it is because "each
of them is an individual database and as a result the combined dataset
is a Collective Database" but then you say " both guidelines in this
use scenario boil down to prohibiting de-duplication (of any kind)."
Sorry I don't follow which one it is, that the de-duplication that
maps.me is doing is permitted under the license or isn't.