On 11/21/2010 10:21 AM, lakshminaras2...@gmail.com wrote:
> There is no explicit disclaimer in the source package.

Please send the upstream copyright holder/author this message:

---
Hi,

I am working on packaging ghc-failure for Fedora (a popular Linux
distribution), and have noticed that it is marked as being in the Public
Domain. This is a tricky legal concept in many parts of the world. In
Fedora, we try to ensure that we have legal permission to use everything
within it, and that everything is under a Free Software License.

Since the ability of a copyright holder to abandon their copyright on a
work and place it into the Public Domain is only legally possible in
certain jurisdictions, there are a few things you can do to help us
out here.

1) If you just want anyone, anywhere, to have the ability to do whatever
they would like with these software works, then please consider giving
permission for them to be used under the Creative Commons Zero license.
This license is structured to act as a practical Public Domain
declaration wherever that is permitted by law, and an extremely
permissive license everywhere else.

An overview of the CC-0 license is here:
http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

The actual CC-0 legal text is here:
http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode

If you choose to exercise this option, please reply to this email with
the following:

* A statement affirming that you are the author and copyright holder of
the aforementioned software works.
* A statement that you give permission for these works to be distributed
under the terms of the Creative Commons 0 license, as described here:
http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

We will archive that email in the package (with your email address
obscured, if you wish).

2) If you do not wish to relicense these works under CC-0, consider
licensing them under the MIT license. This is a very permissive Free
Software license.

A copy of the MIT license can be found here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/MIT#Modern_Style_with_sublicense

If you choose to exercise this option, please reply to this email with
the following:

* A statement affirming that you are the author and copyright holder of
the aforementioned software works.
* Permission to use and distribute the work under the MIT license terms

3) If neither of the two previous options is acceptable to you, and you
really just want to put the work into the Public Domain, we need you to
provide us with the following information:

* A statement affirming that you are the author and copyright holder of
the aforementioned software works.
* A statement which indicates your citizenship and geographical location
(country is sufficient) where these works were created.
* A statement declaring that you are placing these works (explicitly by
name) into the Public Domain, and are abandoning your copyright on them.

For example:

My name is John Doe, and I am the author and copyright holder of
Foo. I am a United States citizen, and this code was written in the
United States. I hereby place the Foo software into the public
domain. You are free to modify the package, distribute modified
versions, etc.

*****

Please note: Individuals in most of Europe (with the notable exception
of the UK) can almost NEVER fully abandon their copyright, thus any
public domain declarations from those individuals are invalid, and we
are left with no license on that work. This means that we will have no
permission to use, modify, or distribute it.

Specifically, this is known to be true for France, Germany, and Poland.
If you are a citizen of one of these countries (or in Europe), or were
located in one of these countries when you created this work, please
consider using one of the previously described license options.

Thanks in advance! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.