On Apr 3, 11:11 am, "Edward K. Ream" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am starting to understand the true advantage of bzr, namely that
> it's possible to work on several projects simultaneously in different
> branches. [snip]

At present there are three main branches: trunk, stable and ekr-devel.

I've changed my mind about the stable branch.  I don't think it will
be useful, and I plan to retire it.  The trunk will contain the best
available sources, so if people want a bug fixed, the trunk would be
the place to look.

The ekr-devel branch will be a half-way stop for major changes that
require prolonged testing.  The idea is to merge major changes into
the ekr-devel branch for lengthy testing, and merge into the trunk
when we are fairly certain that doing so will be safe.

There is a (small!) limit to the number of branches people are likely
to test actively.  I can perhaps expect some people to test ekr-devel
in addition to the trunk, but more than that just dilutes the testing
effort.  This is the chief reason why I want to retire the stable
branch.  Furthermore, I intensely dislike fixing bugs in two places,
even if one of the 'fixes' is just a merge.

Yesterday I rearrange my work flow (directories and batch files) to
make working with multiple branches easier.  In the process I realized
that I can do "trial merges" simply by merging into a local branch.
There is no need to create a launchpad branch for such trial merges.

In the next few days I plan to do the following:

- Fix the recently reported bugs (Directly in the trunk, and merge
into ekr-devel).
- Finish the leo-as-a-package branch and merge it into ekr-devel.
  I'll probably then retire the leo-as-a-package branch.
- Merge the thyrsus branch into ekr-devel.
- Disable the old (non-sax) fileCommands read code, probably directly
in the trunk.
- Experiment with other file issues, probably in ekr-devel.

As you can see, the development process is about to shift into a
higher gear.