On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Dan White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been a leo user for almost two years, usually keeping up with
> development through the _final.zip's on SourceForge.  Since my main
> environment is Linux, having myLeoSettings.leo not be a hidden file
> was always annoying.   So, each time I upgraded leo, I changed the
> filename to ".myLeoSettings.leo" in the appropriate places in
> leoConfig.py and went on my merry way.

Why didn't you request the change?  It could be done with just a few lines
of code (look for .myLeoSettings.leo in addition to myLeoSettings.leo).

Also, rsync'ing files between my office, laptop, and home with their
> differing screen resolutions made for the only other annoyance with
> fonts.  To solve this, I implemented a @ifhostname command for
> @settings trees with each version

Excellent!  Many people will find this useful.

Ville's tutorial on bzr pushed me over the edge for submitting
> something back.

None of this would have happened without Ville's help.

> The inclusion of getHostName() and machineConfigFile
> went un-noticed until today.

I certainly haven't noticed them :-) Where are they?

The branch updates the documentation for the settings files at the
> root of the HOME dir, namely mySettingsFile and machineConfigFile, as
> well.  Attached is a diff with the current trunk for reference.
>
> One gripe from the changes is the apparent inconsistency of "Settings"
> and "Config".  Is there any real difference?

No.  It's a matter of historical accident.

These changes aren't appropriate for merging to trunk yet since the
> current rev would break customization files for everyone else.
> Perhaps g.app.config.initSettingsFiles() could default to the
> non-prefixed versions if the prefixed versions don't exist.

That would be natural, as I said above.

LEO is my go-to tool for all my LaTeX papers and lectures, many
> programs and scripts, and brainstorming outlines, keep up the good
> work!  @Edward: reading your play-by-play notes on using LEO for code
> comprehension has been enlightening, thanks.

I'm glad you enjoy my notes.  I enjoy writing them.