On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 6:10:24 PM UTC-4 Ben Hancock wrote:

[snip]
Hi Rob,

Thanks. I'd be grateful for your tips. It looks like I can probably get
a good start on point 2 (creating documents) with the "Creating
Documents from Outlines" tutorial[1], but if there are particular things
you've learned that would be helpful for a newbie, please share.

I do have some good tips to pass on if you are using ReST and especially
Sphinx, including one or two that are probably not quite obvious.  I think
that using Leo with Sphinx to generate HTML documentation - once you learn
certain key bits - is unbeatable for convenience.  For pdf, the output
isn't as good.  That's mostly because the pdf generator doesn't produce the
best quality output.  But I haven't tried generating pdf for several years
and maybe things have improved.

Learning more about how to use Leo to maintain a small website would be
great too. I currenly use a mix of HTML, Go templates, and pandoc for my
own site (I'm somehow never satisfied with static site generators out of
the box), but it seems like cloned nodes in Leo could go a long way to
making maintaining things like shared ``<head>`` sections easier, if I'm
understanding things right.

Basically, if you can create some boilerplate that can be reused for many
sites, then clones will probably be useful.  Bear in mind that clones
should normally be within a particular outline;  clones between outlines
can cause update problems.  Depending on the details of your workflow, it
may be possible to write a Leo script to do all the steps, or some of
them.  IOW, you could finalize the files, run the script, and have
everything built.  Or, if you can write a batch file that can do all the
steps, you could launch that file from within Leo.  And you can write and
manage that batch file in Leo itself.

I believe that some people have worked out ways to use Jinja templates, but
I'm not one of them.  If you can write Python scripts, you can get Leo
itself to do a surprising number of things.