Toe amputation is actually what the mythbusters tested:
http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/html/steeltoe.html

I have been told by insiders that composite materail toes, like graphite, are
stronger than steel. Fiberglass toes are made to shatter before they are able
to rock back and amputate toes. Manufacturers are forbidden to advertise that
their safety boots are stronger than another, by csa/ansi, because it
undermines the safety standards.

Toe amputation, caused by the toe cap rocking back, is rare and the
mythbusters were unable to reproduce it. I think 99% of the time you will
have less of an injury by wearing steel toed boots than not wearing them. The
force needed to make a steel toe rock backwards is also enough force to
amputate toes too.

robert