On 06/27/2010 07:23 AM, Nathan Coulson wrote:
> I was doing some research into automounting, and I am trying to find
> the glue that can automatically mount a cdrom drive when inserted, and
> unmount/eject it when the eject button is pressed.
>
> udevadm monitor  does not show anything interesting when I hit the
> eject button, nor when a cd is inserted, so I have a hunch that it'll
> take more then udev.
>
> I heard that hal could do that (which has been depreciated, and
> replaced with devkit-disks), but I was not finding much information on
> how devkit works.  It 'feels' like a reporting program, requiring
> another program to mount the disks.
>
> Note: So far, just researching.  I was hoping to avoid PAM, which is
> one of the dependencies down the chain.

I found your message. A little late, but I'm working on a construction
to offer the user userfriendly access to all kinds of resources, local
like CDrom, what you're looking for, and USB devices and ATA harddisks, and
remote like SMB shares.

Look at :

http://linux.bononline.nl/projects/mount.md5key.new/

It creates a directory in the userhomedirectory offering
directories like
1-Transcend JetFlash Flash Drive
06-SAMSUNG_HD753LJ

and something like:

Network/Windows Network/ExampleWorkgroup/FirstServer/firstshare

These directories are managed by a fuse module I've written, and when
accessing
these directories these are mounted by the automounter, and the fuse
module is
redirecting the contents to these directories.
I'm working on support on cdroms at this moment.

It works with FUSE (for the fuse-workspace-ll module), autofs for
mounting, ConsoleKit for session support, udev for detection of
hardware, the at daemon for launching scripts/programs, and a lot of
bash scripts.

I hope I can give a prsentation about it in Oktober in Nurnberg ate the
Opensuse Conference.

Still looking??

Stef