Greg Schafer wrote:

> PS - According to my build logs, GCC-4.2 takes almost *double* the amount
> of time of GCC-4.1 for a 3-stage bootstrap. This doesn't matter much on a
> modern dual-core system (16m 45s vs 8m 41s) but it's very noticeable on an
> older ppc mac mini (91m vs 43m). So maybe there *is* merit in skipping the
> bootstrap after all? :-) But seriously, I suspect the reason is some extra
> checking is switched on in the stage1 4.2 compiler (I managed to hac^H^H^H
> switch it off in the 4.1 series). Will investigate...

Ok, it appears the GCC devs conveniently added a new (undocumented?)
configure switch in 4.2 `--disable-stage1-checking' which does the right
thing. Times for GCC-4.2.1 bootstraps without and with the switch are
below:

real    18m54.421s
user    32m55.131s
sys     1m46.275s

real    13m0.254s
user    22m24.004s
sys     1m47.959s

Amount of time saved will obviously increase the slower the hardware. If
bootstrap times are a concern then I would recommend LFS use this switch
when upgrading to GCC-4.2.x. I'll be adding it to my Refbuild ASAP.

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/