Olaf wrote:
> On 2014-03-15 04:44, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> Hmm, just tell me in your own words how you do it.  Don't worry about
>> what tools to use right now.
>
> This is how I currently create 'snapshots':
>
> # linux-firmware lives in GIT
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/
> # The procedure to create a snapshot is something like:
>
> git pull
> TAG=`git log -1 --pretty=format:%h`
> git archive --prefix=linux-firmware-${TAG}/ HEAD | xz >
> <location-for-storing>/linux-firmware-${TAG}.tar.xz
>

> Result is about ~ 22 MiB. Probably best/easiest to make that available
> via anduin?
> The archived snapshot comes with a Makefile which can be used to copy
> the lot to /lib/firmware.
> Or, if disk space is a concern, cherry pick the ones you need.

I checked out your procedure and it works quite well.  The problem is
that the directory after using make install is 67M for the entire tree.
  My entire /lib directory is only 20M.

I don't know that users would want the whole tree.  At least I wouldn't.
  How does a user know what firmware is needed?  If we could do that, we
could just mirror the tree, updated daily, and let users download from
there.

The only way I would think that the user would know what is needed is to
start with the entire tree in /lib/firmware and check dmesg to see what
it wants and then delete the rest.  I would think there is a better way.

One note is that I am suprised that there are copies of firmware in the
main directory and not in vendor specific subdirectories.

   -- Bruce