Le 31/03/2014 20:26, Bruce Dubbs a écrit :
> I've been working on rewriting Chapter 7 to incorporate systemd.  I've
> come up with the following text in the introduction and would like
> feedback.  Thanks,
>
>    -- Bruce
>
> 7.1.1. System V
>
> System V is the classic boot process that has been used in Unix and
> Unix-like systems such as Linux since about 1983. It consists of a small
> program, init, that sets up basic programs such as login (via getty) and
> runs a script. This script, usually named rc, controls the execution of
> a set of additional scripts that perform the tasks required to
> initialize the system.
>
> The init program is controlled by the /etc/inittab file and is organized
> into run levels that can be run by the user:
>
>      0 — halt
>      1 — Single user mode
>      2 — Multiuser, without networking
>      3 — Full multiuser mode
>      4 — User definable
>      5 — Full multiuser mode with display manager
>      6 — reboot
>
> The usual default run level is 3 or 5.
>
> Advantages
>
>      + Established, well understood system.
>
>      + Easy to customize.
>
> Disadvantages
>
>      - Slower to boot. A medium speed base LFS system takes 8-12 seconds
> where the boot time is measured from the first kernel message to the
> login prompt. Network connectivity is typically established about 2
> seconds after the login prompt.
>
>      - Serial processing of boot tasks. This is related to the previous
> point. A delay in any process such as a file system check, will deleay
> the entire boot process.
>
>      - Does not directly support advanced features like control groups
> (cgroups), and per-user fair share scheduling.
>
>      - Adding scripts requires manual, static sequencing decisions.
>
> 7.1.2. Systemd
>
> Systemd is a group of interconnected programs that handles system and
> individual process requests. It provides a dependency system between
> various entities called "units". It automatically addresses dependencies
> between units and can execute several startup tasks in parallel. It
> provides login, inetd, logging, time, networking services, and other tasks.
>
> Advantages
>
>      + Used on many extablished distributions by default.
>
>      + There is extensive documentation.
>
>      + Parallel execution of boot processes. A medium speed base LFS
> system takes 6-10 seconds from kernel start to a login prompt. Network
> connectivity is typically established about 2 seconds after the login
> prompt. More complex startup procedures may show a greater speedup when
> compared to System V.
>
>      + Implements advanced features such as control groups to manage
>        related processes.
>
>      + Maintains backward compatibility with System V programs and
>        scripts.
>
> Disadvantages
>
>      - There is a substantial learning curve.

> [...]
-You have three points in "two of the points of traditional Unix
philosophy"... Maybe violates ids to strong?

- Pointers to the "extensive documentation"?

- Serial processing of boot tasks is traditional in sysv, but not mandatory.
One could imagine creating some Makefile style processing, (actually, Debian
does, I think). Then if the equivalent of make is called with the equivalent
of -jN, some parallelism could be achieved.

s/extablished/established
s/diabled/disabled/

Regards
Pierre