I would like to get the opinion of the community.  Right now we have
four tickets:

#3537 MPFR-3.1.2 Patchlevel 5
#3536 Fix BC-1.06.95 bug
#3532 Readline-6.3 patchlevel 3
#3532 Bash-4.3 patchlevel 8

All of these call for adding patches from upstream.  My question is
whether it should be the policy of LFS to add these types of upstream
patches to the book when upstream does not feel the need to release a
new stable version to make these fixes.

In the case of BC, I think that it may be reasonable since there has
been no stable releases since 2006.  However, the fact that the problem
has evidently been around for 8 years and is now just coming up
indicates the level of importance.

For the others, I'm even less sure.

My problem is not with making the specific patches mentioned, but what
the policy should be.  Should we be checking all packages daily for
these types of patches?  Clearly that would be a time consuming task.

If we are going to patch, what patches should be used?  There are
patches from various sources: Debian, Arch, Gentoo, as well as the
originating site.  These are not always the same.

Generally, these patches address corner cases and rarely come up in
common usage.

What's your opinion?

   -- Bruce