Hi guys,

A bit of a long email ahead. Please do read. Important information ahead
to give you a head's up on what to expect today.

A quick note on memberships: I haven't found an easy way to maintain
people's passwords and their digest enabled/disabled flag. I don't want
to spend a great deal more time in trying to make this work. So, in
short, everybody who is currently subscribed will be moved over. You'll
have to set your passwords again and turn digest modes back on if
desired. There aren't too many people who use digest mode so I hope the
global inconvenience isn't too great.

That said, I'm moving the mailing lists today. I'll be starting this
process shortly. In an attempt to prevent de-synchronizations (and
subsequently extra work) I'm going to follow this process. I'm not going
to send yet another email to all the lists after having sent so many
already so this will serve as the head's up that downtime is imminent.
Once this email is sent out and the email queue is empty (ie. everybody
has received this email) I'll give some time to read it and make your
final commits and posts.

It's 9:45 AM CST right now. I'll start with the process outlined below
(resulting in downtime) in approximately an hour.

The process in a nutshell will be as follows:

* Set every list to "moderate all" mode on old and new servers to
prevent new messages from being delivered. This ensures the archives
remain unchanged while they are uploaded to the new server.  There's
about 6 GB to upload, spanning 14 years. This will take some time.
* Turn off Mailman services on both servers
* Forward every Mailman related email address from old to new server.

At this point any post attempts will end held in the new server's queue.
They will remain there until all the archives and membership databases
are imported.

After the files are copied over I'll turn on Mailman services back (new
server only) so databases can be imported. Moderate all mode will remain
on for a while longer. After testing I'll turn the modes off on a
per-list basis one at a time and send an "all clear" email to the list.

In theory, no posts will get lost -- they just end up queued up for
later delivery. However, I can't make guarantees that I won't have to
flush a queue to fix problems that crop up.

It would probably be best if you guys all avoid posting too much (or
anything at all). You can of course try but you may end up having to
re-send an email or two that gets lost.

Website URLs to mailing list info and archive pages will be updated
afterwards at some point as well.

I don't have an ETA on all this. Please anticipate this taking the
better part of the day.

Thanks guys,
Gerard