When llvm was installed in /opt I could install mesalib albeit with a slight
hiccough with makedepend.

With llvm now in /usr, the mesalib make gives me a long list of unfound llvm
libraries, ending with:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMCodeGen
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMScalarOpts
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMInstCombine
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMTransformUtils
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMipa
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMAnalysis
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMTarget
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMCore
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMAlphaDesc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMAlphaInfo
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMMC
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLLVMSupport
make[4]: *** [lp_test_format] Error 1

This not surprising since llvm installs:

  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMScalarOpts.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMSelectionDAG.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMSparcCodeGen.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMSparcDesc.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMSparcInfo.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMSupport.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMSystemZCodeGen.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMSystemZDesc.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMSystemZInfo.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMTableGen.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMTarget.a
  /usr/lib/llvm/libLLVMTransformUtils.a

I won't list them all - I'm sure you get the point.

These are all static libs. Is mesalib looking for dynamic libs - which I don't
have installed?

jb.