Just curious.  Hopefully, the answers might help some other curious people too.

First, apologies for my limited exposure and knowledge of GRUB 2
and for the inconvenience.

So far, my grub 0.97 has been adequate (and very simple to use)
for anything I've thrown at it.
OTOH, I may have had only simple situations to deal with.

1. Can this particular, subject configuration be solved with GRUB 2 only?
A grub 0.97 cannot handle it?

2. In general, if grub 0.97 could be used here, does it have limitations in
other complicated configurations, present and in the foreseeable future?

I'd appreciate helpful and patient answers and comments.

Thanks,
-- Alex