On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 18:14 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > /usr : A separate /usr is a very old idea.  Useful if you are on a
> > network where /usr is an nfs mount shared by several machines.  I'm
> > sure there are other use cases, but I can't think of any at the
> > moment.  For most of us, giving /usr on its own filesystem makes no
> > sense.
>
> We still support the capability, although I agree that it's not very
> common any more.  I haven't done it in many years.

I think it made sense back when disk was more expensive... when a
gigabyte was a crazy-big number. But now, when a full desktop weighs in
at about 1% of the capacity of the cheapest disk? Not so much...

Much easier to use some kind of imaging process now, if you need a bunch
of identical machines...

Simon.