lftp when run under Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger causes 100% CPU usage just sitting at its prompt waiting for entry when using the bundled internal copy of readline. Everything works properly besides this problem.

Tiger doesn't ship with GNU Readline but it does have a wrapper header for a replacement library, something called editline, apparently originating from NetBSD:
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 13 Apr 19 00:01 /usr/lib/ libreadline.dylib -> libedit.dylib

This doesn't normally pass lftp's configure script, which tests for a function named rl_completion_matches while the wrapper readline.h only defines completion_matches, so by default, the bundled readline gets used instead.
If I manually bypass this check and try to force lftp to use this wrapper library anyway, compilation fails in src/complete.cc as there's a sizable amount of rl_* functions this editlib wrapper does not provide. So this is basically a no go.

I then tried installing GNU Readline 5.0 instead of the bundled copy, which did work well with lftp but, unfortunately, the same CPU usage problem remains.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Tiger comes both with gcc 3.3 and gcc 4.0 but switching the compilers didn't seem to make any difference either.
I've tried several different versions of lftp, including 3.1.3.

--
fds