On Die, 17 Sep 2002, Glenn Maynard wrote:

Hello,

> > What does people think about it? Is it possible to add this statement?
>
> Fine with me.  That's the standard OpenSSL exception.  (Be better to use
> an SSL library without a stupid license, but there doesn't seem to be
> one ...)

The onley clean solution in the FSF way is to use TLS instead of SSL.

> I don't think we can legally add it to the COPYING file, unless the
> FSF has given permission to make this modification.  The GPL is
> copyrighted by the FSF, and they don't give permission to make arbitrary
> modifications to it (even by the copyright holder of the user of the
> license).  Be nice to not have to bloat every file with this, though.
> Maybe put it at the bottom instead of the top.  (That's a better place
> for the GPL blurb, too, just putting the short (c) statement at the top.
> I don't know anything that prevents this, so the top of the file can go
> right to a file comment blurb and then code.)

You are not changing the GPL. The copyright holder can choose the license
so you can say: my program has the license GPL with the following execption
or with the following addition. Only if the FSF is the copyright holder
you have to ask them. The wget copyright holder is the FSF an this is
the reason for the FSF in the first sentence:
"In addition, as a special exception, the Free Software Foundation
gives permission..."

> > Is it possible to get something like this added to the COPYRIGHT
> > (not the license)?
>
> Not sure what this means.  Since it's in all caps I assume he's
> referring to a filename, but we have no such file ...

Yes I meant a file. But I was wrong. Its not in the COPYING file
its in the README file:
http://cvs.sunsite.dk/viewcvs.cgi/wget/README?rev=1.14.2.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

thx.

--