On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:37:44PM +0200, Morgan Christiansson wrote:
> It is also possible to check the FEAT reply for PRET command support:
> http://drftpd.mog.se/wiki.phtml?title=Distributed_PASV#FEAT_response_for_PRET
>
> I see that FEAT is not currently used by lftp but just sending PRET and
> setting pret_supported=false on failure is just as good.

Although it works, it'd be nice if lftp didn't send tons of extra "probe"
commands to servers.  In some cases, it's the only reliable solution, but
if FEAT is reliable for this feature, it'd be good to use it.  That way,
any later features which FEAT is reliable for can be tested without extra
traffic.  (However, if there are servers with a feature but that don't
list it in FEAT, then it won't work.)

Also, if these tests have to be done synchronously, they can slow things
down on latent connections.

(Of course, the feature can simply be disabled to speed it up, but
that's not a very good solution.)

--
Glenn Maynard