On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Andres Mejia <amejia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Reinhard Tartler <siret...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM, Sean Yiu <sean...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I hope not to have to go thru the clang conversion and many steps to have
>>> libav work with Visual Studio 2010 (to be able to run source code debugger
>>> into the libav code). Not being an expert at builds, I would probably make
>>> mistakes and spend many hours in trial and error.
>>
>> This question is better addresed at libav-user. I'll respond anyways
>> because I think that there is something that can still be discussed on
>> the -devel list.
>>
>> I have found http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb165951(v=vs.80).aspx
>> as description what an sln file actually is. Are there better
>> ressources? Are there free software tools that help with creating
>> them?
>
> All you really need to know is that these solution (*.sln) files are
> ordinary text files that Visual Studio uses to describe certain
> aspects about the "solution." They describe things like what
> "projects" belong to the solution and what release types are available
> (debug, release, etc.). The "projects" themselves are each described
> with their own *proj files. In libav's case, being a C project, these
> project files would be *.vcxproj files. These are what actually
> describe what binaries or libraries to build, what sources and headers
> are needed, what dependencies are required, and so forth. These
> *.vcxproj files are ordinary text files as well and resemble standard
> XML files.
>
> In libav's case, adding Visual Studio support could consist of
> multiple project files for each library and binary built, all tied to
> a single solution file. These files can be kept directly under version
> control. They pose no licensing problems if you want to distribute
> them along with libav. If you want to generate these solution or
> project files, then you would just need a way to create text files,
> which libav's build system can already do.
>
>>> Is there a prepackaged libav build I can download which is already converted
>>> with .sln ?
>>
>> no
>>
>>> It could be slightly outdated libav code. I could update it from latest
>>> libav git after having the Visual Studio working. I think this method might
>>> be useful to others as well.
>>
>> You can find windows libav binaries at
>> http://win32.libav.org/releases/. They do not contain a .sln file,
>> because the libav sources need to be configured before you can start
>> compiling them. This configuration process checks the available
>> libraries on your system (e.g., libav provides various wrappers such
>> as libx264, libvpx and many more that get activated if they are found
>> in the system), and also allows you to enable/disable functionality
>> such as encoders/decoders (e.g., allowing you to create a very
> [...]

One more thing, I think it would be worthwhile if libav could find
it's way into NuGet [1]. NuGet is to .NET as Maven is to Java, CPAN is
to Perl, and PyPI is to Python. I see FFMpeg is already in there,
though I haven't checked how recent those NuGet distributables of
FFMpeg are.

1. http://nuget.codeplex.com

--
~ Andres