vincent rogier writes:
 > >I believe it would be more appropriate to call the driver "ocilib"
 >
 > Sure :). I'll change that

Don't rush it. I hoped to get some feedback about the status and the
capabilities of the existing oracle driver (which I can't test
myself). If the ocilib driver surpasses the oracle driver and is
better maintained, then the existing driver is obsolete and should be
replaced by the ocilib driver. In that case, "oracle" wouldn't be a
misnomer. However, if for some reason both drivers have to coexist,
I'd rather avoid the name clash.

 > Btw, i've got one question about libdbi integer types...
 >
 > Oracle does not make any difference between 1, 2, 4 or 8 bytes integer (from
 > an OCI point of vue).
 > So, as far i've seen about libdbi implementation of datatype (use of unions
 > and checks on the integer type flag), there 's no easy and pretty way to
 > deal with it.... does all other libbdi drivers have no problems like that ?

SQlite is essentially typeless. I.e. it won't even distinguish between
text and integer. SQLite3 has something called "column affinities"
which helps to distinguish between text and other data types. However,
there is no support for different integer types either.

The sqlite/sqlite3 drivers use whatever type the column was declared
with. Although it doesn't make a difference to SQLite, you *can*
declare a column as TINYINT, SMALLINT, INTEGER, or BIGINT, and the
drivers rely on you (as a programmer) doing so. OTOH, SQLite wouldn't
barf if you store a long long value in a column declared as
TINYINT. You wouldn't even lose data if you retrieve the value with
sqlite. libdbi would reduce the data to a 1 byte integer upon
retrieval though.

How does Oracle deal with this? Is there just one integer type? What
size is it? Are there any compatibility types to deal with imported
data, like MySQL and other engines do?

regards,
Markus

--