Depends on your threat model but since since I think I know what country
your are talking about, might be worth taking more precautions:

* burner phone
* wiped disposable laptop w Tor etc
* trusted VPN (maybe)
* bootable linux like TAILS
* possibly encryption but frowned upon if not outright illegal in a bunch
of countries so would advise against if it makes you more vulnerable on the
ground/at the border to additional scrutiny
* be cautious w entering passwords on devices

Obviously, wifi etc at hotels etc are to be avoided as is talking about
anything sensitive or revealing in cabs, public places etc. I personally
like a little bug buster for hotel rooms - any suggestions?

May not be China -
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/technology/electronic-security-a-worry-in-an-age-of-digital-espionage.html?pagewanted=allbut
we are all getting hammered:
m.usatoday.com/article/news/1600269 so beware. You are pretty known as a
researcher in the region so would not be surprised if you are a person of
interest in certain countries.

Cheers :)