Hi All,

A few thoughts on the article. It uses a thread of one process of dealing with
malware and attacks in Syria to tell its story, and highlights a couple of
people who collaborate with each other and some of what they have been doing.
It makes for an engaging read.  But for someone who reads it and doesn't know
the space this article could be read as suggesting that this group of people is
the only game in town.  It isn't.  By far.

 The reality is decentralized, diverse and very collaborative.  A community, in
other words. And these communities are what make things happen.  There are many
networks of Syrians, technologists and folks in the community of activists
working on identifying and responding to malware and other electronic attacks
against the Syrian opposition. Or those working on analyzing the techniques and
tools of surveillance deployed at the network level in SY.  The community
process by which Dark Comet was first identified after some false starts and
unknown binaries first started floating around the community are a great
example. So was the later discussion of Dark Comet and the ethical dimensions
of the tool. Props to TCX and their collaborators here, for example. There are
many others who've chosen to keep their names out of the media. The work of all
of these people contributes to all we know now, and serious progress on a lot
of fronts.

A final note: I also wanted to acknowledge a particular person whose name was
surprisingly missing from the group specifically mentioned in the Bloomberg
piece, and who deserves credit for her role:  Eva Galperin, International
Freedom of Expression Coordinator  and prolific blogger at EFF who will be
familiar to many you as the co-author with Morgan Marquis-Boire on every piece
of blogging on SY malware that EFF has posted to date.

On Nov 15, 2012, at 12:02 PM, ilf <i...@zeromail.org> wrote:

> http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-11-15/the-hackers-of-damascus
>
> Taymour Karim didn’t crack under interrogation. His Syrian captors beat him
> with their fists, with their boots, with sticks, with chains, with the butts
> of their Kalashnikovs. They hit him so hard they broke two of his teeth and
> three of his ribs. They threatened to keep torturing him until he died. “I
> believed I would never see the sun again,” he recalls. But Karim, a
> 31-year-old doctor who had spent the previous months protesting against the
> government in Damascus, refused to give up the names of his friends.
>
> It didn’t matter. His computer had already told all. “They knew everything
> about me,” he says. “The people I talked to, the plans, the dates, the
> stories of other people, every movement, every word I said through Skype.
> They even knew the password of my Skype account.” At one point during the
> interrogation, Karim was presented with a stack of more than 1,000 pages of
> printouts, data from his Skype chats and files his torturers had downloaded
> remotely using a malicious computer program to penetrate his hard drive. “My
> computer was arrested before me,” he says.
>
> Much has been written about the rebellion in Syria: the protests, the
> massacres, the car bombs, the house-to-house fighting. Tens of thousands have
> been killed since the war began in early 2011. But the struggle for the
> future of the country has also unfolded in another arena—on a battleground of
> Facebook (FB) pages and YouTube accounts, of hacks and counterhacks. Just as
> rival armies vie for air superiority, the two sides of the Syrian civil war
> have spent much of the last year and a half locked in a struggle to dominate
> the Internet. Pro-government hackers have penetrated opposition websites and
> broken into the computers of Reuters (TRI) and Al Jazeera to spread
> disinformation. On the other side, the hacktivist group Anonymous has
> infiltrated at least 12 Syrian government websites, including that of the
> Ministry of Defense, and released millions of stolen e-mails.
>
> The Syrian conflict illustrates the extent to which the very tools that
> rebels in the Middle East have employed to organize and sustain their
> movements are now being used against them. It provides a glimpse of the
> future of warfare, in which computer viruses and hacking techniques can be as
> critical to weakening the enemy as bombs and bullets. Over the past three
> months, I made contact with and interviewed by phone and e-mail participants
> on both sides of the Syrian cyberwar. Their stories shed light on a largely
> hidden aspect of a conflict with no end in sight—and show how the Internet
> has become a weapon of war.
>
> The cyberwar in Syria began with a feint. On Feb. 8, 2011, just as the Arab
> Spring was reaching a crescendo, the government in Damascus suddenly reversed
> a long-standing ban on websites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and the
> [...]

John Scott-Railton
www.johnscottrailton.com

PGP key ID: 0x3e0ccb80778fe8d7
Fingerprint: FDBE BE29 A157 9881 34C7  8FA6 3E0C CB80 778F E8D7