Chris, I think you're right to express a note of caution with regards
jumping to conclusions about the patent. However, the patent is still
relevant to the discussion at hand here. At the very least, the patent is
contributing to a sense of mistrust and that is why it needs to be
addressed.

The questions I want answers to are really quite simple. Can Skype
facilitate a lawful interception request of user calls when presented with
an applicable warrant/court order? If not, does Skype have any plans to
integrate lawful intercept capabilities in the future? What types of data
can Skype hand over to LEAs where presented with a valid warrant/court
order? Has the Microsoft VoIP intercept patent been integrated into the
Skype architecture? If not, are there any plans to integrate the Microsoft
VoIP intercept patent with Skype at any time in the future? (Other
pertinent questions have been asked by others; see here:
https://www.privacyinternational.org/blog/skype-please-act-like-the-responsible-global-citizen-you-claim-to-be
)

As I previously mentioned to you in a separate email, I also think it's
worth noting that although the patent was originally filed in 2009,
Microsoft was still actively pursing the patent as of September 2011, four
months after it acquired Skype, filing various amendments and a request for
continued examination following the publication of the patent in June 2011.
I do not think this constitutes evidence that the patent is being or has
been integrated into Skype, but I do think it illustrates why the patent is
of continuing relevance to any discussion around Skype's security.

Ultimately, Skype has more than 600 million users. As I see it, those users
-- many of whom are citizens, activists or journalists operating in
sensitive environments -- should have a right to know exactly what Skype
can and cannot do with their communications. All I'd like to see is a bit
of transparency.

Best,

Ryan