Wow, talk about a blast from the past!  FidoNet.

I ran a BBS in Sierra Vista, AZ, The Exchange BBS in the 1980s, and was
part of that.  I thought it was amazing that a message from Boston could
reach my house in two days after just a series of (for the most part) local
telephone calls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet

I think such a network would be definitely useful in a denied area.

Joel Harding
Information Operations Holistic Organizer (IOHO)
http://toinformistoinfluence.com