Here's a perspective on the project and its current challenges from Jacob Appelbaum and Roger Dingledine's Tor ecosystem talk at 29C3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnbc_9JnVtc&feature=youtu.be&t=1h8s

gf

On 1/3/13 7:25 PM, Steve Weis wrote:
I noticed a Stanford project for setting up browser-based, ephemeral Tor proxies. In their words, "the purpose of this project is to create many, generally ephemeral bridge IP addresses, with the goal of outpacing a censor's ability to block them."

The core idea is that volunteers outside a filtered region can embed an "Internet Freedom" badge on their web pages. Visitors browsing from outside a filtered region can become short-lived proxies that relay traffic to and from the filtered region. When visitors navigate away from a volunteer page, the proxy disappears.

https://crypto.stanford.edu/flashproxy/
https://crypto.stanford.edu/flashproxy/flashproxy.pdf

Note that "flash" is not a reference to Adobe Flash. It's based on Websockets and Javascript.

Also, I am not endorsing this technology for real-world use yet nor can attest to its security. I haven't looked at it in enough detail yet.

--
Gregory Foster || gfos...@entersection.org
@gregoryfoster <> http://entersection.com/