Jacob:

First of all, it's important to recognize that SORM  is a system for  lawful
access to telephone and IP traffic. It is normalized under the laws of the
Russian Federation and most of the countries of the former Soviet Union. In
other words, it is not a " secret"  system, but rather one which is well-known,
 well-documented and has been around for over 10 years.

The relevant Russia legislation is:
 Order of the State Committee of the Russian Federation № 47 of 27.03.99
 Order of the Ministry of Communications of the Russian Federation № 73 of
27.05.10.
The company that produces SORM -  MFI-SOFT -  is quite proud of its product,
and others that they produce in the information security market. In fact, here
is their marketing video. The part about SORM starts at 3:14

http://youtu.be/mNTWvyXNTLM?t=3m13s ( okay, it's lame, but at least they are
advertising it)

As a consequence, the technical characteristics of SORM  are quite
well-documented.  Also, because the system is installed at ISPs, the technical
characteristics of its installation are also quite well-known.

By way of a general introduction, here are links to two technical presentations
on SORM (2 and 3)  the provide some of this technical information, and also a
view  of  the user interface ( which gives you a sense of its capabilities).

SORM 2 - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4_SBxiVQGUOTzZhSVc4Q1JqZlk

SORM 3 - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4_SBxiVQGUOOHBHa1hDcnA1RzA

The files are in Russian, but nothing that Google translate can't help with :-)

I really don't know if anyone in Europe, Canada, or the US  has procured
NetBeholder.  But the fact that the company stopped advertising it openly on
their website in 2010  leads me to believe that their success in this market
space was rather small.  Contrary to popular belief, LEA  tools are not big
business, and bring a lot of liability to companies so usually they tend to
sell to home markets where they have a guaranteed monopoly and stable revenues.

The only thing I can say about why they were marketing from Canada is related
to  some circumstantial evidence I received a few years ago that the Canadian
subsidiary  was selling Netbeholder as a "Canadian product"  in a variety of
south countries. However, I'd stress this is circumstantial evidence so nothing
hard and fast. However,  If you take a look at the SORM  product page, you will
see that they have adapted it to work with a wide range of equipment including
Nortel, Broadworks and Ericsson,  so it's not inconceivable that there may be
existing installations in North America and elsewhere outside the CIS
<http://www.mfisoft.ru/products/sorm/sorm1/nortel> . MFI claims its products
are in 84 countries. If you look at the ALOE website,  they do list a number of
SIP providers in the US that use MFI  equipment. However, since MFI/ALOE  also
resells VoIP soft switches, it's really unclear what they might be using.
<http://www.aloe-systems.com/company/clients#usa>.

> This is a rather difficult thing to do - it seems not worth doing. These
> guys are already working on reducing detectability, aren't they?

Because the system is not secret, and is legally mandated, no, the builders
have not made it particularly stealthy.

Rafal