..on Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 05:55:19AM +0000, Andreas Bader wrote:
> > Hi all - at the risk of shilling, my company has released an Open
> > Source tool called "You'll Never Take Me Alive".  If your encrypted
> > laptop has its screen locked, and is plugged into power or ethernet,
> > the tool will hibernate your laptop if either of those plugs are
> > removed.  So if you run out for lunch, or leave it unattended (but
> > plugged in) at starbucks, and someone grabs your laptop and runs,
> > it'll hibernate to try to thwart memory attacks to retrieve the disk
> > encryption key. Not foolproof, but something simple and easy.
> >
> > It the moment it only supports Bitlocker, but support for Truecrypt is
> > coming[0].  If you have suggestions - add them to the github issues
> > page.
> >
> > https://isecpartners.com/news-events/news/2013/march/yontma.aspx
> > https://github.com/iSECPartners/yontma
> >
> > -tom
>
> Great Idea, solves a huge problem with the hack of SEDs.
> But Windows itself is a big security hole, why don't you offer this for
> Linux? When I encrypt my Laptop with Bitlocker and Yontma, then I have a
> half Open Source secured Laptop..

For your Linux laptop why not just use an encrypted file-system and lid-switch?
Close the lid and the machine hibernates. If you forget to close the lid then
time it out to a screen lock. Can be done in a few lines of shell script with
xtrlock and a /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state trigger.

Cheers,

--
Julian Oliver
http://julianoliver.com