On 05/17/2013 06:02 PM, Kevin Poulsen wrote:
> That's awesome! But you write that the dot-onion can only be reached
> from mobile Android devices. What about this?

I think Mark meant "only" as in "the only way to fly..." or perhaps, the
only way to reach the service, or any Tor Hidden Service, from Android.
Otherwise, I will make sure we review our language to be more accurate.
For instance, instead of Orweb, you can also use Firefox with proxy
setting activated, or you can root your device, and use any browser. Our
goal with tutorial Mark linked to was to keep it simple, and show as
short of path possible from zero to activated.

I, personally, have had good experience with Mike Tigas' Onion Browser
app on an iPad Touch, and have done a brief review of the source code.
The only real issues with it are limitations with how iOS apps can
interface with the WebKit browser component. For instance, it has not
been able to (in the past at least) disable Javascript from executing,
or possibly even from GPS location code being called.

All in all, the idea of strong anonymity from any mobile device is far
off. The best configuration we can recommend for someone trying to
submit content to a service like this is to buy a new clean pre-paid
smartphone or wifi-only device, for cash if possible, and keep it
separate from your existing communications. Android makes this a lot
easier than Apple, since you can sideload apps from alternate app
distribution mechanisms like F-Droid, and don't need to link the device
to an identity or payment method of any sort.

Best,
 Nathan