I don't know how many people watch Doctor Who, and I hate to use it as my
example, but there was a planet where people used items of emotional value as
currency. This is kinda how I see the future of the Internet going: People
trade various details of their life, and they get various services in return
(privacy economy?).

I use Google services, while I never fully trust anyone, I trust them more than
most with the data they collect about me. You sort of give this same level of
trust to merchants when you swipe your credit card, not knowing if they are
actually collecting your card number and are going to do bad things with it.

Services should have the option (as Google does) to pay for a service, and not
have to take part in advertising. I would love to pay Facebook $5 a month, and
not have any ads and no tracking. Again, however, it comes down to trust --
every website can collect information about you even if they are not running
ads. They can be sharing that information, etc. You wouldn't know unless you
worked for the company, and realistically probably only if you were in upper
management or a small little team.

You don't have to trade your privacy for free services, but I choose to. I
don't view a company as "evil" for it.