Hi,

> NSA just $20M of budget? The same NSA that is building a data center
> (for processing what? =) for 869 million USD$ in Maryland?

From
<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/20/exclusive_national_security_agency_whistleblower_william>

WILLIAM BINNEY: Well, it was called Thin Thread. I mean, Thin Thread was
our—a test program that we set up to do that. By the way, I viewed it as
we never had enough data, OK? We never got enough. It was never enough
for us to work at, because I looked at velocity, variety and volume as
all positive things. Volume meant you got more about your target.
Velocity meant you got it faster. Variety meant you got more aspects.
These were all positive things. All we had to do was to devise a way to
use and utilize all of those inputs and be able to make sense of them,
which is what we did.

JUAN GONZALEZ: And when they didn’t use your system, they—the NSA
developed another or attempted to develop another system to do the same?

WILLIAM BINNEY: Well, that one failed. They didn’t produce anything with
that one.

AMY GOODMAN: And that one was called?

WILLIAM BINNEY: Trailblazer, yeah.

AMY GOODMAN: Trailblazer, and—

WILLIAM BINNEY: I called it—I called it five-year plan number one.
Five-year plan number two was Turbulence. Five-year plan number three is—

AMY GOODMAN: And Trailblazer cost how much money?

WILLIAM BINNEY: That was, I think, in my—my sense, was a little over $4
billion.

AMY GOODMAN: Four billion dollars.

WILLIAM BINNEY: Right.

AMY GOODMAN: But it was scuttled. It was done away with in 2006?

WILLIAM BINNEY: Yes, '05, I think it was. But yes, that's right. And we
developed our program with $3 million, roughly.

--
Katana