2013/6/8 Jacob Appelbaum <ja...@appelbaum.net>

> Oh man, Glenn Greenwald is my hero and a hero to us all.

Do you still believe Glenn's reporting that NSA has "direct access to
servers of firms including Google, Apple and Facebook"? In my view, he
misled the world intentionally (the few prism training slides published did
not seem to claim this). Glenn is at best a wacky journalist without common
sense.

His reporting on the Verizon case was good, but I think his credibility
bankrupted after the PRISM one.

Everyone on
> this list who was looking for 'some evidence' about global surveillance
> and previously ignored all other evidence, well, here you go!
>
> "Revealed: The NSA's powerful tool for cataloguing data – including
> figures on US collection"
>

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/08/nsa-boundless-informant-global-datamining
>
> This screenshot from the program is very web 2.0:
>

> http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/6/8/1370715185657/boundless-heatmap-large-001.jpg
>
> The NSA is spying on the US and on the rest of the planet. There is no
> ability to deny this anymore. Anyone who denies it is a complete moron.
>
> I don't understand why this "evidence" is significant in any way. NSA
certainly has lots of information, and a web2.0'ish tool is nothing
surprising. It's rather moot to state "anyone who denies it is a complete
moron". It's like the highway patrol keeping my driving record.

Again, I'm not rooting for NSA. I think its power need to be limited and it
needs more transparency. But I hate using misinformation or hyperbole to
achieve that goal. This hurts the credibility of all the pro-privacy groups
in general.

All the best,