Forensic Tools for Analyzing Hard Drives and Network Intercepts

Simson Garfinkel
http://simson.net/

Monday, June 17, 2013
Talk at 4:15pm
Gates Building 463A
Stanford University

Abstract:
Writing digital forensics (DF) tools is difficult because of the
diversity of data types that needs to be processed, the need for high
performance, the skill set of most users, and the requirement that the
software run without crashing. Developing this software is
dramatically easier when one possesses a few thousand disks of other
people’s data for testing purposes. This talk presents the internal
design of two high-performance computer forensics tools ---
bulk_extractor and tcpflow --- discussing the algorithmic and C++
coding techniques that were employed.

Come see how we peg at 64 cores on our test machine!

(Loosely based on Garfinkel's 2012 DFRWS paper,
http://simson.net/clips/academic/2012.DFRWS.DIIN382.pdf)