From: IT Services <its-annou...@stanford.edu>

July 24, 2013

Members of the Stanford Community:

Stanford is investigating an apparent breach of its information technology
infrastructure similar to incidents reported in recent months by a range
of companies and large organizations in the United States. We do not
yet know the scope of the intrusion, but we are working closely with
information security consultants and law enforcement to determine its
source and impact. We are not aware at this time of any protected health
information, personal financial information or Social Security numbers
being compromised, and Stanford does not conduct classified research.

As a precautionary measure, we are asking all users of Stanford's computer
system - that is, all those with a SUNet, or Stanford University
Network, ID - to change their passwords. This may be done on the
"Accounts" page of the Stanford website.  (You can find the "Accounts"
page by going directly to the main stanford.edu website.) Additional
information is posted on that page verifying the nature of the issue
and the University's request that passwords be updated. As we learn more
about the incident, this process may need to be repeated.

Stanford treats information security with the utmost seriousness and
is continually upgrading its defenses against cyberattacks. Like many
institutions, it repels millions of attempted attacks on its information
systems each day. In recent months, a range of large organizations
have reported attacks involving their information systems. Preliminary
indications are that the breach at Stanford bears many similarities
to these incidents. We are unable to provide additional detail at this
time, given the ongoing nature of the investigation and the importance
of limiting any damage from the incursion. We will provide updates to
users of our systems as more information becomes available.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this issue.

Sincerely,

Randy Livingston
Vice President for Business Affairs
Chief Financial Officer