Thanks all, for the helpful pointers.  I read each of the suggested
texts, at least in part.  Here's a summary: Heather Marsh (Concentric
groups, knowledge bridges and epistemic communities); Chris Kelty (Two
bits, recursive publics); Anthony Cohen (Symbolic construction of
community); Sebastian Benthall (Weird Twitter); and Michael Warner
(Publics and counterpublics).

I posted a broader definition of "self-determined publics" to Air-L,
one that allows formal boundary criteria (styles of communication,
media, etc.) in addition to topical criteria.  As Jack Harris notes,
this broader definition would cover the Occupy movement (OccupySandy):
http://listserv.aoir.org/pipermail/air-l-aoir.org/2013-July/028326.html

Which got me thinking it would also cover the community of a mailing
list, or of Twitter, and that this would be inconsistent.  I think we
can speak correctly of a self-determined public *on the topic* of
Weird Twitter, but not *in the form* of weird, or *in the form* of
Twitter.  Restricting the public to a given form necessarily restricts
access, which makes it less of a public.  The weird form in particular
seems more appropriate to the definition of a counterpublic (Warner).
And Twitter is an external authority, something to which no self-
-determined public may be bound.  So I think I was wrong here and I
shouldn't have introduced formal boundaries; publics are better
identified by topical criteria.

I constructed a prototype of a "boundary proclamation", or what I call
in this case a "public mirror".  Here's the front of the mirror where
the public's image is reflected: http://www.reddit.com/r/MirMir/new/
The topic there is "mirroring and the self-determination of publics";
I'm thinking it might be possible to bootstrap one of these things.

Mike

--
Liberationtech list is public and archives are searchable on Google. Too many