----- Forwarded message from Robert Naiman <nai...@justforeignpolicy.org> -----

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:23:36 -0500
From: Robert Naiman <nai...@justforeignpolicy.org>
To: malachy kilbride <malachykilbr...@yahoo.com>
Cc: No Drones List Serv <nodro...@lists.riseup.net>, David Soumis
<david...@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [drone-list] [nodrones] what can I do ?

I don't deny at all the difference you point out between issues where the
primary impact is on Americans vs. the primary impact is on foreigners, not
at all. That is a huge and crucial - and I think, permanent - fact of the
terrain. My point was not that it's easy, all we have to do is emulate NSA.
My point was that NSA shows it's possible through engagement to make the
system move.

It's certainly worth noting that far and away the most friction has been
generated so far around the issue of drone strikes on Americans. That was
the marquee issue of the Rand Paul filibuster, That has been the marquee
issue of the ACLU strategy. Arguably, the events of the last two years have
significantly vindicated this strategy - that's what has worked the best to
throw mud on the policy in mainstream debate. And there is a big spillover
effect on making the whole policy controversial.

I think we should try to learn from the Congressional strategy and tactics
of people who are doing better than we are, even if our issues have
different dynamics. I think most people who care about NSA spying and are
politically engaged would say that the Amash-Conyers amendment was a
spectacular success - going from apparently almost no controversy to almost
passing on the floor of the House in the space of about a month or so.

So, it's worth noting: what did the Amash-Conyers amendment try to do? Did
it try to repeal the Patriot Act? Did it try to shut down the NSA? No. It
tried to defund *one controversial thing* that the NSA is doing.

So, here is a question to which I do not know the answer. But I think it's
a good question that we should be trying to figure out.

What is the analogue of the Amash-Conyers NSA amendment on drone strikes?
What's the thing that could get us on to the playing field of mainstream
debate?

www.justforeignpolicy.org
nai...@justforeignpolicy.org

----- End forwarded message -----