If you'd like to help me that would be cool..

My take on this is this:  (these are are not all my ideas, can't take
full credit)

We want to get to a state where an e-mail server is easy to set up.
And runs with *non governmental* issued ssl certificates.
Where it provides web-mail (think gmail), iPhone and android.

The meta data problem goes away if the point of failure is spread thin enough.
Basically, you rely that the NSA will not take the chance of sending a
"secret" order to 1000 people with consciences.
If everyone is using non government issued ssl certificates, the
XKeyscore problem goes away.
(only a guess though of course)

The mail client will have pgp mime end-to-end.
The mail server, run by you, or run by a friend of yours, or some
business, will provide a secure means to login for web-mail.

..

What I'm doing is:

1. finishing off getting all of the source on github
2. this weekend work on deploying easily to an ec2 instance.

If you'd like to help, you could get it from github
https://github.com/timprepscius/mailiverse

and try to build things, see what breaks, although I'm sure I'll find
out on my own pretty soon.

If you have any expertise in PGP mime, I could use it.  Setting up PGP
mime looks like it will be trivial.  I just have to figure out what to
do.  Which takes longer than writing the code unfortunately.

-tim

--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
Persistent violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: