carlo von lynX writes:

> Hm, federation is so commonly expected to be the normality that
> any distributed system is filed under "p2p" even if, like Tor, it
> runs on thousands of servers, thus rather distant from what "p2p"
> was supposed to mean. Tor started as P2P, but I think it isn't
> anymore.

I don't think Tor was ever peer-to-peer.  It has a directory listing
all of the public routers; originally the directory was maintained
by hand by the Tor developers, rather than by automated announcement
notices from new routers to the directory servers.

I think the "you should make every Tor user be a relay" question has
been in the FAQ all along:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#EverybodyARelay

--
Seth Schoen  <sch...@eff.org>