On 08/30/2014 10:29 PM, Jan Weisensee wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Since a few months I'm reading this list with much interest.
>
> Now, I am looking for people based in or around Brussels who would like
> to organize crypto workshops for journalists, European Commission
> officials and Parliament staff. Many of them deal with very sensitive
> information every day, notably in the field of trade, competition, and
> foreign policy. Many of those I meet in my consultant job don't know how
> to protect such information effectively and I believe a series of
> workshops tailored to their needs and the respective threat scenarios
> would be immensely helpful.
>
> Since I am no cryptographer but a simple consultant with advanced user
> experience and some teaching skills, I would highly appreciate having
> another tech-savvy person on board who is interested to invest some
> spare-time in co-developing and co-organizing the workshops.
>
> Reward: growing your network, meeting inspiring policy people, lots of
> fun and the certainty of doing something good! :-)
>
> If you're interested or need more info, please don't hesitate to drop me
> an e-mail.
>
> Regards,
> Jan
Hello,

I'm a bit shocked by the content of this email.

Securing data of persons as important as the European Commission
Officials should be the full time work of a dedicated elite infosec
crew. I would be very surprised if there were no such things in place.

If you have good reasons to think that situation is as scary as you
describe it (top level officials needing to do workshop with some
crypto-geeks during week-ends to keep EU's secrets safe) then you
probably should alert the EU security staff about it (and maybe the
press also).

Anyway, protecting as sensitive information can not be the work of some
random volunteers.

Best regards,

Piotr Chmielnicki